We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: March 22, 2015
You Can’t Afford to Ignore an Abscessed Tooth
Are you experiencing extreme tooth pain? You may have an infection either in or around the tooth, which is called an abscessed tooth. This is a serious condition that must be treated because that infection can spread quickly and cause you to lose your tooth or lead to other major health problems. Since you can’t afford to suffer in silence, there are affordable dental care options that can ease the painful problem.
Catch the Causes of an Abscessed Tooth
An abscessed tooth can have many causes. Damage to the tooth is a common cause, but an untreated cavity can also become infected and that bacteria can spread from the tooth to the surrounding tissue to create an abscess. And gum disease can make the gums pull away from the teeth, creating pockets where bacteria can grow and form a painful abscess.
See the Signs & Symptoms
Pain is the most prevalent sign, but the following nine symptoms may signal that you have an abscessed tooth:
- A throbbing toothache
- Red, swollen gums
- Swelling throughout the face and jaw
- Severe pain, often when chewing
- A salty, unpleasant taste in the mouth
- A red, swollen, oozing bump in your mouth
- A tooth that’s extremely tender to the touch
Be aware that the pain may subside as the infection spreads, but this is only causing the bone to dissolve and may lead you to lose the tooth.
Try These Treatment Tactics
Never ignore an abscessed tooth, especially since an affordable dentist can provide the relief you need in the following ways:
- Prescribe antibiotics to kill the bacteria causing the infection.
- Drain the infection to ease the pain.
- Perform a root canal to remove the infected tissue within the tooth.
- Possibly remove the tooth if you do not want a root canal or that procedure doesn’t eliminate the infection.
Prevent the Painful Problem
While we’re lucky to be able to treat the trouble with affordable dental care, you can avoid the ache altogether by practicing good oral health habits, such as:
- Brush gently twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily to remove food and bacteria that can cause an abscess.
- Eat healthy and avoid sugary foods and drinks.
- Since a dry mouth increases your risk for deep cavities and tooth infections, try to keep your mouth moist by drinking water frequently, chewing sugarless gum, or taking medication for dry mouth.
- Get regular dental cleanings and check-ups from an affordable dentist.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Miami, call Miami Center for Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry today at (305) 306-9250 or make an appointment.
Miami Center for Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Miami. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Miami Center for Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Miami Center for Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry.